Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Week 1

7-10-07

Looked through both magazines—DC and San Fran—and took a critical look at all of the errors that where made during the production side of the project. I then started to evaluate the design as a whole.

After going through a general discovery of the magazines I started to make a list of the things that I didn't like about how the magazine was designed. This list could have been extensive because of all of the things that I found that I didn't like, but I kept it to a minimum and tried to find things that I did like.
-Likes:
I liked the photographs
I kind of liked the size of the magazine
I thought that the cover stock was nice
--
I also went to the www.mycreativecow.com and did some research on the company that had produced the magazine initially.

7-12-07

went to the library and researched "food magazines" to get the feel of their particular styles. As I looked through the magazines I jotted down notes about the things that I liked and some things that seemed to represent the industry. I tried to find things that seemed common among the magazines.
  • Santé

    1. used a modern serif font with a thin sans serif geometric font throughout magazine
      body copy is a modern serif font

    2. Masthead: bold sans serif font

    3. two column layout *not very innovative but gets the job done okay in this magazine


  • Cater Source

    1. fonts used are: transitional serif for main copy and a geometric sans serif for headings

    2. three columns used for layout. *this seems to work really well and gives the magazine a lot of variety.

    3. Masthead: bold sans serif font


  • Gourmet

    1. fonts used are: transitional serif for main copy and grotesque sans serif (probably Helvetica) for heads and subheads.

    2. mostly two column spreads but it does break down into three columns at times. This is nice way to break things up.

    3. margins are about 1/2'' from the edge of the page which is too close


  • Food & Wine

    1. 3 column spreads work well, but there are areas where it is 4 columns and this is too hard to read. There is one interesting spread where the body copy is 1 column and the recipe is 3 columns on the same page, where the one column is placed on the upper left so that the third column (of the three columns) runs adjacent to the 1 column and the length of the page.


No comments: